Thursday, October 2, 2008

VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

I VOTE

I’m an unwed mother of 4.
I’m on welfare for now, but I’m working to get out of this hell.
I just need help for a while,
AND I VOTE.

I’m CFO of a Fortune 500 company.
I have a few more rungs to climb before I reach the top.
I spend time with my friends, I work,
AND I VOTE.

I’m a stay at home mom,
Wife to a good man who works his butt off for his family
We both sacrifice so that I can be home, but we love our kids.
AND I VOTE.

I’m a recent high school graduate.
I make $6.00 an hour and eat peanut butter three nights a week so I can save for college.
But I won’t make $6.00 an hour forever.
AND I VOTE.

I am black, and white, and Hispanic.
I’m the minority, and the majority and the statistic so lovingly labeled “other”.
I read, watch television, pay my bills and my taxes.
I spend money and my time in many different ways.
I laugh, I cry, I notice what’s going on around me.
AND I VOTE.

I matter to my mama
Because I exist.
I matter to politicians,
BECAUSE I VOTE.

To be an American is an awesome privilege.
To be an American is an awesome responsibility.
America is the land of the free, BECAUSE I VOTE!

No comments: