Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Procrastination, thou art a foul fellow!

Okay, so I have done every little thing I can possibly do to procrastinate…. now I have to get to work.

The thing is I love writing, so why do I put it off so diligently? I enjoy the process of putting my thoughts into words, on paper. I enjoy sharing the things I write with others, at least most of the time. So why do I put writing off till my head is about to explode and my soul aches to let go? I wish I knew. Maybe, just maybe I would stop doing it.

Of course, my desk, which is loaded with post-its, filing that needs put away, and various other clutter calls me a liar on that point. Maybe, just maybe I’m a procrastinator of many things and not just writing. But I understand why the desk is messy- I get into a project, work on it, take notes, then get called away to help with a homeschool project or issue and work on that for a while but just before I’m finished I have to help with a 4H thing, or some other thing and before you know it, my desk is a roadmap of works in progress and only I know the destinations. My husband absolutely hates coming in my office. It is very small to begin with and the clutter is just suffocating to him. And to me. And to my creativity!

So, here is the question I find myself faced with at this particular moment…

Do I stop writing to clean my office/desk, or do I keep at the writing till I’m either finished for the day or called away by a child in need of tutelage? Hmmmm, I think I may have just identified one of my problems.

See, this is why I love writing. Discovery is in the process. I love writing, I love the process, and I love the discovery.

I think I will keep writing today, and give myself a break. The mess will be there when I’m finished, history proves that.

Happy writing and peace to you all-

TheWritingMommy

No comments: